19 February 2011

Sweet Saturday - Sweet Potatoe Pudding

After the last Sweet Saturday recipe I was left with 5 egg yolks as I only needed whites to make the meringue. On searching what to do with those I found this lovely site: how to use up egg yolks and as they say: "If life hands you egg yolks, you can't make lemonade". But they give a lot of nice suggestions, sweet or savoury to do with your eggs yolks, nicely divided in 1, 2, 3, .... and so on egg yolks. I chose to make a Sweet Potatoe Pie, but as I could not find in sweet potatoes in this tiny village I froze the egg yolks until I did get sweet potatoes. I whipped the eggyolks with some salt before freezing them and they defrosted just fine, gave them a little whisk before using them in the recipe below.


Ready to go into the oven.


Sweet Potato Pudding


  • 600 gr sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 250 gr plain soft cheese or yoghurt
  • 120 gr dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 5 egg yolks
  • salt to taste
  • handful of toasted almonds or pecan nuts
  • maple syrup
Steam the sweet potato cubes for 20-25 min until soft.
Place the steamed cubes in a bowl and mix to a pulp. 
Add yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, yolks, and salt to taste, and beat until well combined. 
Pour this batter into an oven dish. 
Sprinkle nuts on top and drizzle with maple syrup.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes at 165°C  (180°C for a traditional oven + preheat). 
Remove from oven and cool. Serve cooled and if any is left over, keep it  in the frige.


Bon apetit!

1 comment:

  1. Never tried this before but it looks so nice I'm adding it to my must-try list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    xx
    minna

    ReplyDelete